Hello dear friends!
As someone who loves movies and dreams of one day becoming involved in making them, you can predict correctly that I’m excited for the Oscars tonight!
I have not seen all the nominated films (Going crazy here to see Silver Linings Playbook!), but I can easily get an idea of how good they must be if they’re up for an Oscar. So, do you know what and who is on the list? Check out the official Oscars nominees page here: http://oscar.go.com
Here are my choices:
- Best Picture-this is a hard one for me, but I have to go with Life of Pi. That film took my breath away. Les Miserables comes in close second for me. I also wish I could co-pick Lincoln.
- Best Actor in a leading role-Daniel Day-Lewis as Abraham Lincoln all the way. After reading an article in Time Magazine about him, I have so much respect and admiration.
- Best Actress in a leading role-Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook. Though I haven’t seen the film, anything Jennifer does is spectacular. She deserves an Oscar for everything she does.
- Actor in a supporting role-umm….out of all the films, I’ve only seen two. But that’s okay, because I would say Tommy Lee Jones in Lincoln. He was just as great to watch as Daniel.
- Actress in a supporting role-Anne Hathaway, without a second thought. That number she did in Les Miserables was perhaps one of the most powerful, heart-retching scenes I’ve ever watched.
- Best Animated Feature Film-Brave. Even though it’s my least favorite Pixar film, it’s still Pixar 🙂
- Cinematography-Life of Pi. Every element of this movie just wowed me.
- Costume Design-Les Miserables. All the rest I could care less, except Lincoln. Snow White and the Huntsman? The only interesting costumes were worn by Ravena (Charlize Theron), but they were still typical.
- Directing- Ang Lee for Life of Pi. A movie like this, I imagine, was a feat to direct.
- Film Editing-Life of Pi. Ok, I suppose I’ll just pick this one every time it’s listed 😛
- Make-up and Hair styling-The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Now when this one is listed, I will certainly pick it. Keep the Lord of the Rings Oscar streak going!
- Music: Original Score-Life of Pi. Some of them I’m confused of why they’re listed.
- Music: Original Song-I imagine you would think i’d choose “Pi’s Lullaby”, but I’m going with “Suddenly” from Les Miserables. All the songs were amazing.
- Production Design-The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Though Life of Pi does deserve recognition there, as it’s never easy to design a film based in the middle of the ocean on a little lifeboat for about 90% of the time.
- Visual Effects-I’m shocking myself and choosing Life of Pi over The Hobbit. But, now that I think about it, it was the visuals that mostly affected me from Life of Pi. I mean, that sequence of going down and finding the ship wreckage was breathtaking.
- Writing: Adapted Screenplay-I have not read Life of Pi (*gasps* all around), but considering the author’s style that he wrote it in, and how unique and complicated of a story it was, I’m impressed that they translated it into such a phenomenal movie.
- Writing: Original Screenplay-Unfortunately, I have not seen any of the choices listed, so I have no say here.
I’m excited to see if any of my picks make it. As you can see, Life of Pi is a reigning favorite with me. If you haven’t seen it, go see it. I’ve had movies silence me from the impacting story, but never has a movie silenced me simply by the effects and beauty of it. It really is a beautiful film.
Are you watching the Oscars tonight? What are your picks? Let me know. I love to talk about movies 😀